Treatment may be performed in conjunction with a child’s dental cleaning at Islands Pediatric Dentistry in Gilbert. Depending on a patient’s individual needs, the appropriate fluoride treatment will be recommended to help keep teeth cavity-free. Learn more about our fluoride treatments below, or request an appointment online.
Frequently Asked Questions About Restorative Bonding
What is fluoride?
Fluoride is a natural substance that helps strengthen teeth and prevent decay in patients of all ages. It is found in water sources, certain foods (e.g. meat, fish, and eggs), and in toothpaste, oral rinses, and professional treatments from your dentist. Sufficient fluoride treatment is important during childhood years to ensure extra protection against cavities in developing teeth.
When is fluoride recommended?
Our pediatric dentists will use fluoride treatments for patients who are at an increased risk of tooth decay, including those with:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Active cavities
- White spots due to braces
- Poor diet
- Tooth enamel defects
- Beginning stages of cavities
What does fluoride treatment for children involve?
Fluoride treatments are administered at our office. Fluoride is applied to the teeth in gel, foam or varnish form, either via a tray or painted directly onto the teeth. Children may also be given fluoride supplements to take in small doses each day, especially if there is not a sufficient amount of fluoride in their regular water supply. In some cases, Dr. Rez may recommend a prescription fluoride gel to use at home to decrease tooth decay.
After most fluoride treatments, patients should refrain from eating or drinking certain foods for a short period of time in order to increase the fluoride’s direct contact with the teeth. Depending on each patient’s individual needs, fluoride treatments may be repeated every three, six or 12 months.
If you need to schedule a visit for your child or want to learn more about fluoride treatment, call our office at ( 602) 384-2955 or request an appointment at Islands Pediatric Dentistry by filling out the form on this page.
Helpful Related Links
- American Dental Association (ADA). Glossary of Dental Terms. 2015
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry® (AACD). Home Page. 2015
- WebMD. WebMD’s Oral Care Guide. 2015
About our business, license, and website security
- Islands Pediatric Dentistry was established in 2017
- We accept the following payment methods: American Express, Cash, Check, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa
- We serve patients from the following counties: Maricopa County
- We serve patients from the following cities: Gilbert
- Website Safety Ratings and Reputation – AVG Threat Labs. View Details
- Norton Safe Web. View Details
- Trend Micro Site Safety Center. View Details
- Dental Center
- Flouride Treatment