While there is no single method for protecting teeth from disease and decay, dental sealants are one proven treatment option that can help maintain dental health along with regular cleanings and at-home care. At Islands Pediatric Dentistry, our experienced pediatric dentists will evaluate your child’s teeth on his or her first visit and will determine the best timing for applying dental sealants. In some cases, sealants will be applied in conjunction with dental fillings. Learn more below, or request an appointment online.
What are dental sealants?
Dental sealants are thin, plastic coatings that are applied to the surface of the tooth to protect the grooves of the teeth from decay. Decay often begins in these grooves because they are hard to clean and susceptible to a buildup of plaque. Sealants create a smooth surface that fills deep grooves and makes teeth easier to clean. .
When should dental sealants be performed?
Dental sealants are applied in children once the six-year molars are present, or any time between the ages of 6 and 16.
What does getting dental sealants involve?
Dental sealants are performed in-office. Sealants are applied by cleaning the selected tooth and then painting the sealant onto the tooth enamel, where it will harden and bond to the tooth and protect it from decay. This procedure takes just a few minutes and is painless.
If you need to schedule a visit for your child or want to learn more about dental sealants for children, call our office at (602)384-2955 or request an appointment at Islands Pediatric Dentistry by filling out the form on this page.
Check out what others are saying about our dental sealants on Yelp: Dental Sealants Gilbert.
Helpful Related Links
- American Dental Association (ADA). Glossary of Dental Terms. 2015
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry® (AACD). Home Page. 2015
- WebMD. WebMD’s Oral Care Guide. 2015
About our business, license, and website security
- Islands Pediatric Dentistry was established in 2017
- We accept the following payment methods: American Express, Cash, Check, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa
- We serve patients from the following counties: Maricopa County
- We serve patients from the following cities: Gilbert
- Website Safety Ratings and Reputation – AVG Threat Labs. View Details
- Norton Safe Web. View Details
- Trend Micro Site Safety Center. View Details
Back to top of Dental Sealants