Regular dental exams are performed in conjunction with dental cleanings and are recommended once every six months for all patients of Islands Pediatric Dentistry. Regular oral examinations are the best protection against gum disease, tooth loss, and other dental conditions.
We are eager to help protect children’s smiles with an emphasis on providing comprehensive dental care with a little extra care. Learn more about our dental exams below, or schedule an appointment online.
What types of problems can regular oral examinations detect and help prevent?
Regular, comprehensive oral exams can help to detect and prevent common tooth problems, such as:
- Tooth decay (dental caries)
- Gum disease
- Tooth loss
- Bone damage
- Abnormal tooth alignment
- Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) dysfunction
What does a comprehensive oral exam involve?
Pediatric oral exams are performed by our experienced and caring pediatric dentists and may involve:
- Periodontal screening: Periodontal screenings focus on the diagnosis of gum disease, including gingivitis and periodontitis.
- TMJ screening: The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is located in front of the ear, where the skull and lower jaw meet. TMJ disorders are characterized by pain in the face or jaw area, headaches, earaches, limited mouth opening and clicking or popping sounds in the jaw joint. Since some of these symptoms are observed in a variety of medical conditions, a thorough clinical examination is important.
Every dental cleaning at Islands Pediatric Dentistry will also involve a comprehensive oral exam from Dr. Rez. When necessary, diagnostic Digital X-rays may also be taken in-office in order to ensure a thorough examination.
If you need to schedule a comprehensive oral exam for your child, call our office at (602) 384-2955 or request an appointment at Islands Pediatric Dentistry by filling out the form on this page.
Helpful Related Links
- American Dental Association (ADA). Glossary of Dental Terms. 2015
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry® (AACD). Home Page. 2015
- WebMD. WebMD’s Oral Care Guide. 2015
About our business, license, and website security
- Islands Pediatric Dentistry was established in 2017
- We accept the following payment methods: American Express, Cash, Check, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa
- We serve patients from the following counties: Maricopa County
- We serve patients from the following cities: Gilbert
- Website Safety Ratings and Reputation – AVG Threat Labs. View Details
- Norton Safe Web. View Details
- Trend Micro Site Safety Center. View Details