Dental cleanings are recommended once every six months for most patients of Islands Pediatric Dentistry. Depending on your child’s needs, Dr. Rez may recommend dental cleanings as frequently as every three or four months. Regular cleanings help keep gums healthy and teeth cavity-free. At Islands Pediatric Dentistry, we are focused on preventative dental treatment. Learn more below, or request and appointment online.
What’s involved during my child’s dental cleaning?
Pediatric dental cleanings are performed by our experienced and caring dental hygienists and involve:
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a film that forms on the teeth from the combination of bacteria, food debris and saliva. Plaque can produce toxins that inflame the gums, causing gingivitis (an early stage of gum disease).
- Removal of calculus (tartar): When left on the teeth for an extended period of time, plaque hardens into a material called calculus, also known as tartar. Calculus may form above or below the gum line and requires removal with specialized dental instruments.
- Teeth polishing: Every cleaning appointment concludes with teeth polishing to remove stains and plaque that may not be removed during regular tooth brushing.
Regular pediatric dental cleanings can help to avoid common problems including:
- Tooth decay (dental caries)
- Gum disease
- Tooth loss
- Bone damage
- Bad breath (halitosis) caused by plaque buildup
- Stained teeth
Every dental cleaning at Islands Pediatric Dentistry will also involve a comprehensive oral exam from Dr. Rez. This will help to identify any tooth decay, early signs of gum disease and oral cancer. When necessary, diagnostic digital X-rays may also be taken in-office to ensure a thorough examination.
If you need to schedule a dental cleaning for your child, call our office at 602-384-2955 or request an appointment at Islands Pediatric Dentistry by filling out the form on this page.
Helpful Related Links
- American Dental Association (ADA). Glossary of Dental Terms. 2015
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry® (AACD). Home Page. 2015
- WebMD. WebMD’s Oral Care Guide. 2015
About our business, license, and website security
- Islands Pediatric Dentistry was established in 2017
- We accept the following payment methods: American Express, Cash, Check, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa
- We serve patients from the following counties: Maricopa County
- We serve patients from the following cities: Gilbert
- Website Safety Ratings and Reputation – AVG Threat Labs. View Details
- Norton Safe Web. View Details
- Trend Micro Site Safety Center. View Details
- Preventative Care
- Dental Cleaning